Iodine makes up for thyroxine hormone imbalance, which leads to obesity. This imbalance also affects the menstrual cycle and can cause water retention.
Sources of Iodine
- Broccoli, brinjal, onions, cabbage, lettuce, radish, spinach, garlic, carrots, peas, and lotus roots.
- Banana, grapefruit, plum, pear, mango, peach, citrus fruits, water fruits (such as cucumber, papaya, watermelon and melon) and
- Potassium is very effective for water retention, as it flushes the toxins out of the system and keeps the kidneys in good and healthy shape.
Sources of Potassium
- Radish, broccoli, tomato, cucumber, spinach, potato.
- Banana, coconut water, papaya, water melon, pomegranate, citrus fruits and grains like beans, barley, rajma and lobhia.High-fibre foods play an important role in weight control. High-fibre foods make you feel full thereby taking care of the bouts of hunger.
Sources of high-fibre
- Wheat bran, vegetables, fruits, chilka dals and legumes.Diet Suggestions
- Morning: Lime and honey in warm water.
- Breakfast: Steamed sprouts with one seasonal fruit and one glass of skimmed milk.
- Mid-morning: One glass of mixed vegetable juice – cucumber, carrot, tomato.
- Lunch: Wholewheat rotis with lightly cooked vegetables and whole dals/legumes.
- Evening: One fruit and coconut water.
- Pre-dinner: One bowl of salad or thin soup with shredded vegetables.
- Dinner: Wholewheat roti or boiled rice with vegetables and a light dal or fish or home made paneer.
Points to remember
- Drink 10-12 glasses of water everyday.
- Cut down on refined sugar and avoid sweets.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and foodstuff prepared from processed flour (maida) such as pasta, noodles, cakes, pizzas, white bread, and fried food and snacks.
- Fast once a week. Have only juices, soup, fruits and curd.
- Restrict your daily consumption of oil to two teaspoons.
- Quit alcohol, smoking and excess consumption of tea and coffee.
- Keep regular meal times.
- Do not eat when you are angry, upset or not hungry.
- Have only fruits as in-betweens.
- Eat legumes only at lunch and add garlic and ginger to facilitate easy digestion.
- Make sure that your dinner is light compared to lunch. Go to bed after atleast a couple of hours after dinner.
- Do not skip any meals.