Papaya seeds can help get rid of intestinal worms, although modern medicines often work better. Papaya seeds must be dried in the shade, powdered and kept in a bottle. Two teaspoons of powder is mixed with a glass of milk. Drink this at bedtime. Repeat for three consecutive days.
Or, papaya ‘milk’ that comes out when the green fruit or trunk of the tree is cut, can be collected. About 3 or 4 teaspoons (15-20 minutes) of this ‘milk’ is mixed with an equal amount of sugar of honey and stirred into a cup of hot water. If possible, drink along with a laxative.Crush one handful of pomegranate leaves and boil with a glass of milk. Drink half of it early in the morning on an empty stomach (before breakfast). After two hours, drink the rest of the milk. Give two tablespoons of castor oil after another two hours. This should not be given to children below 15 years of age.
CAUTION: Castor oil should not be given to children below 5 years of age.
Do not give the person anything to eat before and during the treatment.
Grind neem leaves to a fine paste. For one week, take a marble-sized ball of this paste every morning on an empty stomach. Do not take this for the second week. For the third week, take the neem leaves again as before on an empty stomach. The whole family should take this treatment together for curing threadworms.
Chop finely, or crush, 4 cloves of garlic and mix with a glass of liquid (water, juice or milk).
- For pin worms, drink 1 glass daily for 3 weeks.
- For diarrhoea drink 1 glass every 2 hours until diarrhoea stops.Tapeworms
- Grind one betel nut with a small glass of milk. Take this early in the morning on an empty stomach. Do not give to children.
- Take a handful of ash gourd seeds and grind them. Eat it in the morning on an empty stomach. Two hours later, take two teaspoons of castor oil.
- Dissolve a small piece of asafoetida (Hindi: Heeng; Tamil: Kayam) in water and drink it on an empty stomach once a day for 3 days.Intestinal cramps and stomach aches due to intestinal worms or indigestion
- Roast and powder cumin seeds or zeera seeds. Take 2 teaspoons with warm water 3 times a day for 2 days at the most. This can also be used with curry or mixed with buttermilk. If pain persists or increases, seek medical help.
- Angel’s trumpet (Dhatura or Borea): The leaves of this and certain other members of the night shade family contain a drug that helps to calm intestinal cramps, stomach-aches, and even gall-bladder pain.
- Grind 1 or 2 leaves or Angel’s Trumpet and soak them for a day in 7 tablespoons (100ml.) of water.
- Dosage: Between 10 and 15 drops every 4 hours. Adults only.WARNING: Angel’s Trumpet is very poisonous if you take more than the recommended dose.
Adapted for India by: The Voluntary Health Association of India by Dr. C. Sathyamala. Revised and updated by Padam Khanna with Dr. Stella, M.P. Mansukhani and Dr. Salai Pa Cin