Diarrhoea [Illustration by Shinod AP]
If a person has mild diarrhoea without any fever or vomiting or blood in the stools, and no signs of dehydration:
- Add extra water while cooking the rice and take out the extra water when it is boiling. Let it cool, add a pinch of salt and give to children with diarrhoea.
- Roast rice till it becomes completely black. Crush it. Give adults two tablespoons with a glass of water after each loose motion. Do not give to children.
- Strong black tea without any milk or sugar and with lime juice is effective for mild diarrhoea. This should be given only to adults.
- Grind one handful of fresh guava leaves to a paste and boil with water. Add one half teaspoon of jeera powder or cumin seeds and strain. Give 2 teaspoons five times a day for 3 days. Give the children one half of the adult dose.
- Eat unripe bananas. This also helps in mild diarrhoea.If mild diarrhoea is accompanied with blood or mucus without any sign of dehydration:
- Take the white sap from a banyan tree and mix with some water. Give an adult two teaspoons and a child one teaspoon after each loose motion.
- The pulp of the ripe bel fruit is baked and it is given 3-4 times a day for 3 days.
- The dried powder of pomegranate skin can be given with 2 teaspoons of warm water or buttermilk 5 times a day for 3 days.
- Jamun seeds are dried and powdered. Give 2 teaspoons with water 5 times a day, for 3 days.If diarrhoea is accompanied by vomiting:
- Roast one handful of cumin seeds (Jeera), add the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt. Drink this three times a day for 3 days.Adapted for India by: The Voluntary Health Association of India by Dr. C. Sathyamala. Revised and updated by Padam Khanna with Dr. Stella, M.P. Mansukhani and Dr. Salai Pa Cin