Vomiting in pregnancy
- Powder 3-4 cloves and soak in a glass of water for half an hour. Strain and drink this water as and when required. This is not harmful and has no side effects.
- One glass of lime juice with a pinch of cardamon powder (if available) given as and when required. This is not harmful.
Swelling of feet during pregnancy
In case of swelling of feet during pregnancy, go for medical check-up. Follow the doctor’s advice. You can also do the following to reduce swelling:
- Boil 1 teaspoon of palm sugar and 2 teaspoons of fennel (Hindi: Saunf) together in a glass of water until it is reduced to one half glass. Strain and drink three times a day till the swelling disappears.
- Take a handful of coriander seeds and boil in a glass of water until it is reduced to half a glass. Give it twice a day for 3 days.
- Sometimes decoction made from corn silk (the tassels of silk from the ear of maize) can help in reducing swelling of the feet. Boil a large handful of corn silk in a glass of water. Drink 1-2 glasses. This is not dangerous.
False labour pains
- Boil a handful of drumstick leaves with 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds (Hindi: Sukha Dhania; Tamil: Kotthamalli). Take about one glass. If the contractions are false, the pain will disappear.
- Powder the bark of cinnamon (Dalchini) and take half a teaspoonful with water or milk as and when required. If the pain persists, consult a health worker or go to a hospital.Adapted for India by: The Voluntary Health Association of India by Dr. C. Sathyamala. Revised and updated by Padam Khanna with Dr. Stella, M.P. Mansukhani and Dr. Salai Pa Cin